Thursday, July 1, 2010

" Patriotism still runs deep in the Home of the Brave "




With the Fourth of July just around the corner, I thought I would take a moment and really think about what Independence Day really means to me.

Being a rather old school sort of guy, 'patriotism' runs very deep in my veins. The mere sight of 'Old Glory' flying high, red, white and blue bunting on a holiday weekend, or the sounds of 'The Stars and Stripes Forever" by an excellent military band or symphonic orchestra still gives me 'goose bumps.'

Having served in the U.S. Navy back in the 60's, I have always been a bit partial to the 'pomp and circumstance' of Military ceremony. During my basic training days at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center, I was assigned to a 'special unit' in boot camp. All the guys in our company were either in the 'Blue Jacket Choir,' the 'Ceremonial Drill Team,' or the 'Cadet Drum and Bugle Corp.'

I was in the Drum and Bugle Corp and we performed weekly at the passing out ceremonies for recruits graduating from Basic Training. It was always a very militarily, ceremonial event that would send chills down your spine.

Over the years, on several occasions, I had the opportunity to see and hear the 'President's Own' United State Marine Corp Band. It is America's oldest continuously active professional musical organization, formed in 1778. In 1780, the 25 years young John Philip Sousa was appointed Musical Director and Conductor, and in later years, became known as the 'March King,' for his fantastic military march compositions.

Quite honestly, I don't think I have ever heard a better rendition of 'Stars and Stripes Forever,' than when the Marine Band plays it. After all, Sousa probably wrote it for the instrumentation of the Marine Band.

To me, the chill and excitement that I get from hearing a good military march tune, is not a bit different than the feeling I get when I hear "Hail West Virginia,' "Glory, glory Georgia," or even "God Bless America." It's all about patriotism, roots, love of country and dedication.

As we all prepare to celebrate another 'Fourth of July,' in celebration of our great nation's independence, I think about the freedoms that myself, and probably most of you, take for granted each and everyday.

I think about the countless lives, over all the years, and all the great wars, that our country has lost in the services of our military. Freedom is not FREE, freedom has a price, and the many honorable men and women, that have given their lives for the cause of freedom, deserve more respect and honor than we normally show.

To me, 'patriotism' has many meanings. It truly is the goose bumps from hearing a great, patriotic march tune, it's the tear in our eyes that run down our face when we hear 'Taps' played at a memorial service, it's the pride that swells inside of us at the sight of a low flying military flyover, and it's the reverence and respect that is shown when 'Our National Anthem' is played at the beginning of every sporting event.

Patriotism is defined by some as love, support and defense of one's country, national loyalty.
To me, patriotism is most certainly love of country, patriotism is the dedication and respect that is shown for the 'greatness of our country,' and all the sacrifice that it has taken to keep us free and the home of the brave.

So, if I get a little upset when individuals don't stand up during the 'passing of the colors,' meaning, when our National and State flags might pass by during a parade or whatever, well excuse me.

Call it old school, call it 'pissy ass,' call it whatever you choose, but it's very simple folks.

My Grandfather, my Father, myself and my two brothers, all served in the military of this great nation, to protect her. As did my sister's husband and her son-in-law, and as did my brother-in-law on my wife's side of the family.

So there, the simplicity of the matter is that we are a very 'Patriotic Family.' Our veins run red, white and blue. We get excited about fireworks, hot dogs, watermelon and ribs on the 4th of July.

The truth of the matter is that most of YOU that might read this, are just like me. The 'Fourth of July' truly means something. So, celebrate my friends, we are free today because of all the 'patriots' that have gone before us.

Raise a flag, raise a toast and sing 'God Bless America.' We truly live in the 'Home of the Brave.'

Here's to you 'Old Glory,' and everything you stand for.

Happy Fourth of July 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment