Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tribute to Mr. Jack Basil, a wonderful man, a gifted musician, artist and a great human being ~


Most recently, since launching my own Blog, I find myself thinking daily about other interesting topics that I might enjoy writing about, stories that friends and family can relate to, as well as something the casual reader might enjoy.

With that in mind and looking back over the past 60 years, ( did I really say sixty ) one of the constants in my life has always been music. In searching deeper into my memory bank, I realize that I owe so much to the person that started me out on my musical path so many, many years ago.

I'm very honored to write this tribute to a wonderful person; Mr. Jack Basil. Jack, now on the yea or nay side of 80 years old, still resides in Elkins and has probably had a positive impact on the lives of many people that might have the opportunity to read this, once I post it to Facebook.

So, where to start; I guess I need take a step backwards to 1956-57. This was a point in time when most 5th or 6th graders were given the opportunity to elect "instrumental music" at 3rd Ward School. It was at this time that I first met Mr. Basil. He was the music teacher that would travel from school to school, throughout Randolph County, and first expose young students to the fun and interesting world of "instrumental music."

I elected to hopefully become a drummer/percussionist. From the very beginning, I developed a passion to excel and practiced with great dedication with the help and encouragement from Mr. Basil.

As I completed my sixth grade year at 3rd Ward School, Jack was appointed as the new Band Director at Elkins Junior High School. Being very fortunate to make varsity band as a 7th grader, I remember that my Mother almost had to fully reconstruct my uniform because I was so short and small. I'll probably never forget the excitement I felt when I dawned that green and white uniform for the very first time.

In thinking about Jack, I recall just how much of a perfectionist he was. Always an excellent teacher, he was able to get the very best from each of his students. For this reason, throughout his entire career, all his groups, be it the bands, ensembles, choral groups or whatever, always performed well and earned honors no matter where they performed or competed.

It was during my junior high years that I developed the desire to be a 'set drummer.' During this time, my father was very much involved with the local American Legion when they started scheduling 'Teen Dances' with live rock and roll bands. I recall going with him, sitting in the back room just off stage and watching the drummers. In no time, I found myself trying to put together a make shift trap set from 'odds and ends' Mr. Basil would allow me to use from the band room.

Soon thereafter, a group of my friends started our own little rock and roll band. "If we didn't think we were the cat's meow." Hum . . . 'The Downbeats": I'll never forget that our first paying gig was for Mervin Gutshall's Grandmother and her Norton Sewing Circle. How funny is that, a group of young teenage rock and rollers, playing rock music for a group of little ole 80 year old ladies. I think they passed the hat and we each got $2..00 a piece.

Woops, I got off track, let me get back to Mr. Basil, he would always stay after school to allow us to practice. By the way, that very feeble group of so called rockers were basically the same group that played together all through high school, later known as the Embers and Dynamics. Without Jack's support, that group probably would have never existed.

As time moved on, my parents soon gave me a set of drums and my love of music continued to grow. Jack soon moved on to be the Director of the Elkins High School Band and me and my classmates moved along to EHS with him. The following 3 years were going to be fun filled and learning years for all of us.

Jack brought a great deal of new ideas to the EHS Band. He certainly had big shoes to fill, taking over after the retirement of the legendary Prof Siedolf. Soon, such new ideas as "The Tiger Tones," the new Stage Band made its place into school assemblies, half time shows, etc. He was one of the first band directors in North Central West Virginia to place special emphasis on his percussion sections. I fondly remember our 1st Percussion Ensemble. It was a top notch group of rudimental drummers in our junior and senior years. We were fortunate to participate in the State Ensemble Festivals at WVU for several years. To this day, I remember the arrangement, the proper sticking and our rendition of "The Downfall of Paris."

All along my musical path, Jack was always there and made an impactful impression on my life. I have often thought that I'm glad that I elected to keep music as my avocation. It has given me years and years of pleasure and enjoyment; all thanks to Mr. Basil.

After retuning from my navy years in London, England, I returned to Elkins and had the opportunity to perform with Jack in various groups over the years. He always excelled as a jazz trumpeter, talent that equalled the excellence that he exemplified during his teaching and directing years.

Until his recent retirement a few years ago, Mr. Basil was also Director of Music and Choir Director at the First Methodist Church in Elkins. He brought musical innovation and change with every group he touched.

As I conclude this story, I would hasten to point out that many friends and past classmates that might read this, would probably agree that Jack had some form of positive impact on their lives, as well.

To the best of my knowledge, Jack is still very active and doing well. He remains to be an active piper in the West Virginia Highlanders, probably still paints ( He is a renown wildlife Artist ) and could probably blow his horn for a 3 hour gig if called upon.

By the way, after retuning from London, it took me several years before I was ever comfortable in calling him Jack. Deep down, I guess he'll always be Mr. Basil to me.

So, in closing, let me say this:

Jack, as I can fondly call you now, somewhere along the way, I truly hope you have the opportunity to read this.

You were always one of my mentors, and there have been many, and needless to say, you had quite an impact on my life. There will always be a 'special corner' in my heart for you; a wonderful man, a gifted musician and artist and a great human being.

6 comments:

  1. Nicely said, Bob. Jack Basil has long been one of my heroes - for his commitment to young musicians and to his hometown of Elkins and, especially, the West Virginia Highlanders bagpipe band which has benefitted from his loyal dedication since its 1947 inception. As a former member of "The Pride of West Virginia," he remains a solid fan of WVU and its athletic teams. When Elkins gets its Mount Rushmore, Jack Basil's likeness should be on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to let you know, Mr. Basil, yes, I at 42 still call him that, he "works" if you could call it that for living and breathing music your whole entire life, at Midland Elementary School helping Hollie Pritt with her 5th grade band. I get a hug everyday that he walks down the hall. At the Christmas Program every year, we are honored with Mr. Basil playing his bag pipes as he walks in the 5th grade class into the room. I still get chills watching him perform. He is and always will be a great man who has influenced me in such a positive way, too. God Bless Jack Basil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful tribute. I was in the EHS band under him from '67-'70 and adore him to this day. One special thing I remember is that my good friend and fellow flute player, Sherry Sirk, and I just did not understand why we couldn't play in the stage band. Mr. B. finally said we could if we transposed our own music. We did, and we had a blast doing it. Later as an adult I finally understood that flutes were not traditionally part of stage bands, but it was so cool that he let us do that -- and made us transpose the music ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this now with a renewed sense of awe for my friend and colleague, Jack Basil.
    You've captured forever the qualities Jack possessed throughout his life.
    Thank you for sharing your passion for a truly great man!

    Bob Dunkerley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this again. Yes I remember the Downfall of Paris. To my amazement, over the years anytime I saw Mr. Basil, he always remembered me. I consider the thousands of students but he always knew.

    ReplyDelete