Tuesday, June 8, 2010

" Two Lady Fingers and a Vanilla Coke "

For many of you Facebook Friends that attended Elkins High School, and especially those of you that were members of the Class of '64, the title of this posting might immediately take you back almost 50 years.
I was thinking the other day about our class, and the 46 years that have passed since we graduated in June of 1964. Most members of our class were born in 1946, the first of the so called 'Baby Boomers.,' and most of us celebrate our 64th birthday this year. Just a quick play on the numbers 46 and 64. Oh well, enough numbers.
So, back to the story. For whatever reason, I got to thinking about Elkins and how things have changed over the years. Just by reflecting mentally, I was going street by street, throughout the downtown business area, and remembering the many businesses that existed when we were in school, but as time has moved on, so many of them are no longer there.
One of those that came to mind was Neale's Drug Store on the corner of 3rd Street and Davis Avenue. As many of you may recall, for most, if not all of our high school years, Neale's was the after school hangout. As if it were yesterday, I remember always ordering 2 Lady Fingers and a Vanilla Coke. ( There was no such thing as Diet Cokes in those days. ) However, I do remember those white paper dixie cup inserts that would fit into the aluminum cup holders.
I also recall that it was always hard to find a seat if you were not one of the first to arrive. It was always a rare treat to be able to ride with Nanny Johnson, when she would come and pickup Dee Hartman White. It almost always assured us a prime seat in one of the booths, it just wasn't as cool to sit at one of the tables.
I also so fondly remember 'Madge and Tiny.' The two ladies that ran and serviced the lunch counter and kitchen for years. Damn folks, this was like almost 50 years ago, maybe my memory isn't as bad as I sometimes think it is.
Oh well, . . . 2 Lady Fingers and a Vanilla Coke . . . Can anyone possibly remember how much those cost back in early 60's. I'm thinking possibly .35 cents. Just think, a gallon of gasoline was probably only .25 cents.
So, there goes another fleeting moment in time. Just think Class of '64ers . . . just 4 more quick years and our class will celebrate our 50th High School Reunion.
To quote Kathy Brown Palmer and The Beatles:
when I get older, losing my hair ~
many years from now ~
will you still be sending me a valentine ~
birthday greetings, bottle of wine ~
will you still need me, will you still feed me ~
when I'm sixty four ~

4 comments:

  1. I don't know how much the lady fingers cost...but I remember going to Wallace's Bakery with my Gammy and they put them in white boxes and tied them up with string. OMG...I'd KILL for one now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madge, Tiny, and the string-tied white boxes. Wow - memories I haven't had in nearly fifty years. Thank you both.

    Jack Skidmore used to give me 2 am bass guitar lessons in the alley behind Wallace's, after which we'd buy a fresh baked loaf of bread, break it in half, gouge out holes and shove in a half a stick of butter. THAT memory I have had frequently...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved those lady fingers.

    ReplyDelete